[Healeys] Off the Gauge & urethane bushes

John Rowe jarowe at westnet.com.au
Mon Mar 17 06:12:30 MDT 2014

*Do no**t* use urethane bushes. They will crystallise over time and then
shatter under load. Then you will certainly have the fan in the radiator.

In four scenarios with family cars.

A set of urethane suspension bushes lasted 4 years in a Datsun 240Z
before being dropped all over the garage floor.

A similar situation with suspension bushes in a Chrysler Valiant Pacer.
The car has had little use over the last 4 years and when driven this
year for a week all the bushes collapsed. Very lucky there was no injury
here.

I have used them as antisway bar bushes in my 3000 twice much to my
folly. Never again.

Buy the rubber ones from a good AH parts supplier and check them every
12 months as part of your regular maintenance programme.

Just my 2 cents worth.

cheers from West OZ

John Rowe