[Healeys] Aluminum brake & clutch cylinders

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Wed Mar 5 18:32:43 MST 2014

I don't know where the "assertion" comes from either, but I believe it. No one
claims that the entire cylinder is anodized, only that the Bores are hard
anodized to make them smoother and less prone to corrosion. I'm running wheel
and master cylinders from my 1959 BN4 on my  BN1.

I figured out early that the alloy cylinders are not prone to wear or
corrosion unless they are exposed to an electrolytic environment. Even through
many years and many miles the original cylinders showed no wear and the only
problem I found with them was a build-up of solids from expired brake fluid. I
cleaned them up with hot water and dish soap. For the tougher spots I used
some soft scrub. I took care not to disturb the original surface and it was
undamaged even as old as they were. After eleven years of use I have never had
a leak or a failure and my brake fluid is clean.

I think that if a cylinder is damaged to the point that it needs to be honed,
a rare occurrence, it should be replaced. If you can't find a replacement you
should have it sleeved. I think there are services that can do it in brass or
stainless steel. Honing the cylinder exposes the raw aluminum which corrodes
and contaminates the brake fluid. I doubt if polishing the bore will have much
effect.

My 2 cents...

> To: coudesluijs at chello.nl; healeys at autox.team.net
> From: warthodson at aol.com
> Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 09:47:59 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Aluminum brake & clutch cylinders
>
> Kees,
> I agree with your comments about polishing. I am interested in knowing the
> origin of the assertion that the original aluminum cylinders were anodized.
Do