[Healeys] Vanishing Coolant

rkeysor rkeysor at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 4 06:35:46 MST 2014

As I have dealt with the cooling issue with my BN7, I'm having some
interesting experiences.  Lately it's the coolant in the reserve tank going
away.  After purchase, I had the radiator recored, which did nothing to reduce
the tendency to run hot in warm weather. We have an abundance of that here in
Florida.   I next constructed an aluminum surround for what I understand is a
Texas cooler type of fan installed by the PO.  I added a new 7 lb. radiator
cap, and then the tubular sleeve Moss sells to block the recirculation port in
the head.  With these in place, I drove the car more than 400 miles to a Brit
car show near Tampa.  The car generally ran below 190 degrees, though it got
to 200 in heavy traffic. No hint of boiling. Subsequently, I installed a 160
degree thermostat inside the Moss sleeve (the car didn't have a thermostat and
the locals tend not to use them) and also mounted a coolant reserve tank,
basically a ketchup bottle with the top
 drilled to take the rubber radiator overflow hose.  I fill the bottle about
half way with coolant, with the hose end reaching the bottom of the
receptacle.  On two occasions since doing this, I have found the reserve tank
empty after fairly long drives, with the radiator coolant level remaining
normal and no overheating. The engine never reached 190 degrees on that last
longer run. On one briefer run, upon stopping, I noted bubbling from the hose
in the reserve tank, and that continued for several minutes after stopping.
 There is no suggestion of coolant in the engine oil. The car runs perfectly.
 I have on occasion found a couple of drops of coolant on the floor toward the
rear of the engine.  I have suspected a Welsh plug leak, but I haven't been
able to locate it. Question, where is the reserve tank coolant going?