[Healeys] Starter Problem

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 17:35:34 MST 2014

Don, I would recommend that you check the voltage between the terminal on the
starter and the body as you try to operate the starter.
The most likely problem is high resistance some place between where the ground
strap for the master switch attaches to the frame and where the engine ground
strap attaches to the frame.
There are a lot of connections along that path and a fault at any one will
produce your problem.
Of course this test requires that you reinstall the starter however, the same
test  can be performed by substituting a battery load tester for the starter.
If you maintain the load for a few seconds the point of resistance will get
hot BUT also be advised that a starter can be damaged if current is applied
and it doesn't turn.

Michael S
BN1 #174