[Healeys] stator tube

Bluehealey bluehealey at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 05:04:30 MDT 2014

Hi Ira.
Just my 2 cents -
The stator tube is 3/8" outside diameter. Temporarily use a 3/8" bolt around
2" long to plug the end of the steering box. The olive will clamp down onto
the plain underhead section of the bolt to prevent leaks.
When you are ready to install the trafficator/ stator tube assembly, thread
the wires and couple the two tubes together on the bench. After that, using a
draw wire on the electrical connections draw the whole lot down the steering
column and out of the olive coupling. This is much easier than trying to draw
the electrical connectors down the stator tube whilst it is already in the
column. The second phase of connecting the trafficator tube to the slotted
stator tube can also be a real pain if the stator tube is installed first.

The only downside of this approach is the loss of lubricant whilst making the
switch from the bolt plug to the trafficator assembly.

Use one of the semi-fluid greases in the box rather than oil. It leaks much
more slowly <grin>.

Alan - from my iPad
Bluehealy.com