[Healeys] 1959 100-6

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Jul 30 21:30:24 MDT 2014

I'm not a pro painter, but did a lot of research when restoring our BN2.  I don't believe painters use a rust inhibitor,
per se.  Best technique is to strip down to bare metal, then immediately apply an epoxy primer (keep in mind any metal
starts corroding as soon as it comes in contact with oxygen, facilitated by moisture, of which there is always some in
the atmosphere).  Standard and 'high build' primers are remarkably porous, and unless you can strip to bare metal, apply
primer, perform sanding, smoothing, etc. and finish paint in pretty much the same day or two you need to use an epoxy
(two part) primer which effectively seals the surface.  There are various metal preps which will etch bare metal and
leave a very thin phosphate coating--prior to primer--which is probably the best inhibitor you can get, but it may or
may not be necessary depending on who you talk to (some prefer an etching primer).  Wear latex/vinyl/nitrile gloves to
keep body oils off the bare metal.

If the 100-6 is similar to our 100--I know, the windshields are different but both have similar side posts--the front
fenders have to come off to get to the posts (which you say you're doing). Removing the fenders isn't too
difficult--lots and lots of bolts, and you'll have to remove headlight buckets and turn signals.

I encourage you to research paint and techniques--there is copious info on the interwebs.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net