[Healeys] BJ8 Large oil consumption

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 19:08:35 MDT 2014

Gary -

If it is hooked up correctly, you will plumb the PCV into the intake
manifold which is always under negative pressure when the engine is
running.  The PCV is just a one way valve.  Basically, directly plumbed
into the intake manifold would put the crankcase under a mild negative
pressure, meaning that oil ... rather than being pushed out the gaps in
gaskets (with normal positive pressure in the crankcase) ... the oil will
naturally want to stay in the crankcase.  You need a PCV because if you get
any sort of prefire in the intake manifold, you don't want it blowing back
into the crankcase.  The PCV has the added advantage of recycling unburned
hydrocarbons back into your combustion chamber, hence why they first
appeared on pollution controlled vehicles in the late 60s.  This is one
pollution control device that actually is good for the running of your
motor and generally helps burn off excess fuel and oil.

Best,

Alan