[Healeys] BJ8 Large oil consumption

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sun Jul 27 04:51:02 MDT 2014

Clean your engine thoroughly, so you can notice where the oil is coming
from on a short trip, or even running the engine stationary. Also make
sure your crankcase ventilation (whatever system is fitted) is not
blocked. Most common external leaks are:
front crankshaft seal
rear crankshaft seal
crank case ventilation blocked, resulting in oil being blown past the seals
rocker cover (distortion or gasket; sealing of nuts)
external oil pipes and their connections
distributor housing
sump (distortion or gasket, sometimes pin holed because of dents)

Sealing the diff and rear axle is straight forward enough, see WSM.
However smell the leaked oil first to see if the oil is EP oil from the
diff or engine oil sprayed from the engine.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL