[Healeys] Removing cam in situ

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jul 19 09:18:14 MDT 2014

Michael, et al,

That was my first thought.  I have used Chevron 20W-50 almost from the start--IIRC, I used Castrol and other brands for
a while but the Chevron was available at Costco until a couple years ago--and I believe the Chevron had pre-converter
levels of ZDDP, as some (most?) 20W-50s still do.  We used a high-quality assembly lube when we rebuilt the engine.  I
would expect the lack of ZDDP to affect all the lobes, but it only appears that 2--#2 and #11--were 'lazy.'  Also, my OP
is normal for a BJ8, I've never seen any metal in the drained oil and I've cut the filters open and inspected the media
a couple times and there was no significant metal detritus (just did a change and will be opening up the filter today).

I just got a case of VR1--it runs $7/qt, give or take!--and will be using that from now on.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net