[Healeys] Removing cam in situ

Michael michael.salter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 08:51:48 MDT 2014

What you are describing Bob is exactly what I encountered with AHX12.
I believe that it was attributable to the dreaded ZDDP problem.
I would suggest that you drain the oil and check for metal content.
In 12 the flakes of cam lobe and lifter were all through the engine. The first
indication of trouble was very low oil pressure caused by the relief valve
being jammed by the metal flakes.
I rebuilt the engine completely and thereafter used Valvoline VR1 non
synthetic oil, just put 10 bottles in #174, and the problem never reoccurred.
Michael S
BN1 #174