[Healeys] Fuel smell in 100

Bluehealey bluehealey at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 15:30:24 MDT 2014

Hey Mike
This is just a wild guess but the fuel tank sender gasket may be the culprit.
As it is under the armacord and the luggage, the smell tends to become
pervasive.  During my recent trip around the UK I found that frequent brimming
of the tank caused the blue hylomar sealant that I had used on the cork gasket
to decay.  It turns out that regular blue hylomar isn't fuel resistant! Who
knew? There is another variant of blue hylomar that comes in a yellow tube/box
that IS fuel resistant including ethanol.

Just my two 'pennorth.

Thanks for sharing your report.

Alan - from my iPad

> On 10 Jul 2014, at 21:51, "hypercubic at yahoo.co.uk" <hypercubic at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> We're still in val d'aosta and the 100 has started to smell of petrol. It
> still seems to be running fine. I've been over and tightened up the obvious
> connections in the fuel system and can't find anything obvious.  We're
> planning to exit italy via the Petit St bernard pass, heading for an
overnight
> in Oyonnax on Saturday,  then heading north taking two or three days to
Calais