[Healeys] Ring Gear/Flywheel Removal

Larry Wendland bighealey3k at aim.com
Tue Jul 8 14:03:17 MDT 2014

Ed,  You do it in the reverse order with a "Calibrated" hammer.  Wink
Wink
Actually a wrench can be put on the big nut on the front crankshaft
pulley and the wrench in turn against an immovable object or surface.
Then a torque wrench can be used on the flywheel bolts when
reinstalling.  Or one can take out one of the spark plugs and thread a
length of rope long enough to fill the cylinder with the piston at
bottom dead center leaving a length of rope sticking out of the spark
plug hole in order to be able to remove the rope when finished.  When
the crank is turned, the piston will compress the rope and in turn stop
the crank from turning.  This could have been used to remove the bolts
also.  I didn't think of it till after sending my original reply.

Larry
'67 BJ8