[Healeys] Safety gauge - resolved

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 13:55:12 MDT 2014

Hi John,
As I understand it we are dealing with vapour pressure in a closed system.
Simply put as the ether boils the gas produced increases the pressure in
the closed system which in turn increases the boiling point of the ether
resulting in the boiling stopping but higher pressure in the system.
This higher pressure makes the Bordon tube straighten a little causing
deflection of the needle.
Temperature rises more the vapour pressure rises thus the gauge needle
deflects further.
Higher the temperature the further the needle deflects.
Please bear in mind that I failed first year physics!!!

Michael S
BN1 #174