[Healeys] What Roger Says about Interior kits

editorgary at aol.com editorgary at aol.com
Tue Jan 28 18:20:32 MST 2014

 Last week there was an extensive discussion on the list about interior kits,
Moss Motors, and Roger Moment.

I forwarded that on to Roger, and we decided it might be a good idea if he
answered everyone directly.

So, heeeere's Roger:

A)  Installing interior trim IS an area where there is a void in the
literature.  However, there are a couple of exceptions:
            --  I believe I helped Gary with an article that was published in
the Austin-Healey Mag. on trim in the 2-seat 3000s.  I provided some photos of
the area behind the seats, as I recall.  Havenbt taken time yet to go search
through my magazines to try and find it. If anyone finds this article before
I'm able to locate it, please post that on the list.

            --  I worked with Moss to help them develop (and correct what they
currently were offering) the boot liner kit for 100s.  Unfortunately, it is
only available in Black. I wrote up instructions and sent lots of photos,
which have been edited into a detailed pamphlet that they include with their
kits.  While I havenbt seen what  many other suppliers are selling in the
way of boot lining kits for 100s, I suspect these are not nearly as accurate
or easy to fit as the one Moss currently offers.

B)  I did install a Moss boot kit in the BJ8 I did a number of years ago (the
blue one that was highlighted in the Sept, 2009 AH Magazine issue).   The edge
binding was done correctly (rolled with hidden stitching) and the pieces fit
very well.  Essentially the same kit was used on the 2+2 roadsters and BJ7s
and these also have the correct edge binding.

C)  I did install a Moss boot kit in the Primrose BN6 I did around 2006, and
remember that there were some issues with the left side compartment lift-door
details, but the as a whole kit fit very well and looked good.  I donbt
remember what Moss provided for instructions.

D)  I have installed Moss interior trim kits and feel these are far preferable
to those from other suppliers of trim items.  They fit better and the Moss
carpet is just as good ( some kits just have burlap glued to the rubber
backing of their carpet, which anyone can do to the Moss carpet as well).
When ordering the BJ8 carpet kits, there are two versions to choose from.  The
bOriginal Styleb kit has a one-piece gearbox carpet cover, which is
as-original, while the bDeluxeb kit has a two-piece gearbox and driveshaft
tunnel cover with a gearbox dipstick access flap b certainly more convenient
for checking and adding gearbox oil, but not original.

E)  I also worked with Moss to develop an accurate heat shield kit for the
100, including installation instructions. Theybve also done these for the
6-cylinder Healeys (all kits complete with accurate new mounting hardware).

F) Moss also has a DVD video on installing trunk lining, carpet, and panel
kits, seat rebuilding and recovering, and the convertible top covering BN7 &
BJ8 Healeys.  It can be found in the color page section of their catalog under
bACCESSORIES; GARAGE & DVDsb.

Gary Anderson
Editor at Large
Austin-Healey Magazine