[Healeys] Repair Magic

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Fri Jan 24 12:36:41 MST 2014

Steven, it happened to me almost exactly the same way in September 2000
(before all the publicity about the negative effects of driving on old
tires).

I was returning home to North Carolina from Watkins Glen and clipping along
about 65 mph on the four-lane.  The right rear tire suddenly let go and the
separating tread beat up the lower fender behind the wheel.  I wish I had
had a repair magician like yours.  I ended up replacing the lower section of
the fender.

The tire that failed was a Michelin XZX that had been with the car since
1977 (photos attached).

Well, lightening doesn't strike twice, does it?  The next day I was motoring
down I-95 with the spare installed, still a hundred miles from home, and the
LEFT rear tire failed.  The car had to sit by itself on the interstate until
I went back 10 miles to the previous town and found a spare to get me home.

It taught me a lesson about old tires.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry