[Healeys] MGA Question, Not TR or Healey

Jonas Payne jpaynepbr at cox.net
Mon Jan 20 11:12:45 MST 2014

Sorry to bomb the lists,

I have an MGA in the shop that has 1 degree of negative camber on the
passenger side and 3 degrees of negative camber on the driver side.

It is supposed to be 1 degree positive.

Common wisdom is that this could be caused by wear in the A Arm, Arm
Bushings or Worn out swivel axles.

Well, it turns out that  the A Arm bushings were new, the holes in the A-Arm
are perfectly round and sized, and there is no slop on the swivel axles.

Ride height appears correct, and the unladen spring height checks out per
the manual at 9.25"

There doesn't appear to be any frame damage to speak of, and the car is a
solid rust free example.

As near as I can figure, either the car either has modified A Arms
(available from Moss and others) or the kingpin/swivel axles need to be
replaced/rebuilt.

Does anybody know what the standard dimensions are for Stock A-Arms (they
are the same for MGA, MGB, MGC) so I can rule this out?

Jonas Payne

PBR Consulting Services, LLC

702.882.6711