[Healeys] BJ8 Gearbox Removal

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jan 12 19:40:47 MST 2014

Patrick,

The procedure is simple and essentially British:  bolster the gearbox and O/D and remove the car from around it.

Actually, I've done a BN2 and a BJ8, and they're basically the same.  For the BJ8, remove the seats, console and gearbox
cover. Remove the starter, and I believe you have to remove the propshaft completely.  Unbolt and support the slave
cylinder, rear mounts and the fansaver tierod.  Support the bellhousing and engine at the backplate, remove the bolts
and you can pull the gearbox/OD rearward enough to free them, then lift both out of the car (in my youth I lifted them
myself, but I'm older, weaker and wiser now and would need a hoist).

As always, replacement is the reverse of removal.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net