[Healeys] Rear main seal

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 21 16:42:57 MST 2014

Steve:

I've done the rear seal kit on both Healeys - definitely worth doing if the
trans/OD is already out of the car.

The flywheel has to come off, which you should probably have resurfaced at
this time anyway, and the engine rear plate comes off so that the opening
can be machined larger to take the seal kit housing, so you'll need a rear
engine plate gasket, and a couple of new flywheel locktabs.  The machining
pattern is included with the kit.  The procedure is fairly straight forward,
and the seal kits have good instructions.  The new split lipped crankshaft
seal seals against the crankshaft just forward of the flange, so need for
anything else to be done there.  The original scroll 'seal' is still in
position.

You should be aware that you probably won't ever get it completely dry -
it's a Healey, right! - but it will likely be greatly improved.  Consider a
bit of oil leakage to be a factory included undercarriage rust prevention
'option'.

I think I have a printed instruction sheet somewhere from one of my kits -
I'll have to look - that I can scan and send you if it will help you
understand the procedure beforehand.  Let me know.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb