[Healeys] Fwd: Battery Not Charging Part 3

Steven stevesylvia2 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 17 19:19:46 MST 2014

Hello Gents,

Well so far I'm surprised at the lack of responses to my dilemma. Has no
one ever experienced this or something similar (see full history
below)?  I was thinking that possibly if the field wire is grounding out
inside the yoke of the generator, that might cause the generator to
continue to send electricity to the battery.  The mechanics manual
states to do an ohms check and it shouldn't be "much" below 6 ohms.  The
resistance in my test leads is 1 ohm and the resistance on the generator
is 5 ohms (one lead on the field terminal and one on a ground).  So that
gives me a resistance of 4 ohms.  Is 2 ohms "much" below the recommended
6 ohms?  The manual states that if the ohms are "much" below 6 ohms that
the insulation around the field coils has broken down.  Does anyone know
if I'm on the right track?  Please help a brother out.....

Thanks in advance,
Steve Meyer
61 3000 BN7