[Healeys] Battery Not Charging Part 2

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Feb 16 09:35:30 MST 2014

I'm not that well-versed on electronics--self-taught only--but I'll throw a couple things out that might help get things moving.

Voltage from a generator is determined by the amount of current applied to the field coils. The VR should allow enough current so that the generator reaches a set point, at which time the VR ceases to provide current, and the voltage drops until the VR starts sending current (hence the 'chatter'). There are only two things I can think of that would cause a 'runaway' generator: the VR is stuck continuously providing current to the coils, or something else is providing the current (i.e. a short). I installed one of the Moss VRs a few thousand miles ago and it appears to be functioning properly. so, either you got a defective VR, or you have a short to the field coils. If you could get your hands on a known-good generator and try it you might find a clue; same with a known-good VR. If the problem persists you'd have to assume something in your wiring.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Bob