[Healeys] Old Business-PWB 57

J. Scott Morris jstmorris at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 10 10:30:29 MST 2014

Well, according to the AHC UK website [see below] ARX 92B-PWB 57bEG 38 did
have an aluminium-blocked engine.
--Scott Morris; Simcoe, Ontario, Canada       - Keep Smiling, Murphy Lives

ARX 92B b PWB 57 b EG 38
http://www.austinhealeyclub.com/AH50/Pages/AH50-woolmer-series.html
ARX was part of the 1964 team along with BMO & BRX. Following the Tulip,
Alpine & Liege rallies, it was sold to BMC Competitions Manager Peter
Browning, who put his personal number PWB 57 onto it.
The regulations for the 1967 RAC were felt to suit a 3000; PWB was therefore
'borrowed' back by the works & prepared to what can only be described as
AWESOME specification, including an aluminium-blocked engine, side exhaust and
Minilites. The RAC was cancelled due to Foot & Mouth, and PWB never ran in
anger. Peter kept his personal plate when Arthur purchased it; it was then
registered EG 38.

On Sun, 2/9/14, Jackson Krall <jackson_krall at yahoo.com> wrote: << Well folks,
its past time that I clear up any confusion I may have created with my
suggestion that PWB 57 (now registered EG 38) was powered by an aluminium MGC
engine. I had thought the best time to do this was when the Vigilance
Committee was out chasing after thatTriumph guy that was messing with Jose but
I've been busy with other things, so here goes.  I was able to contact Mr Paul
Woolmer, the current caretaker and pose the question, (4 or 7 main bearings?)
directly.  While waiting for his reply I poked around the internet and found
photos of the car being preped at the 'Works' and it didn't look good for my
supposition. Mr Woolmer was good enough to get back to me and explained that
he wasn't sure due to the fact that the original aluminium block was no longer
in the car and not in his posseession at this time, however, he would be
getting it soon and get back to me. He did, and he
 did. The photos he sent clearly show it to be a 4 main bearing block. Derek,
Simon, Chris, Ulla and Sven and others, you were correct, I was not, and of
course I can't remember the last time that happened. Very disappointing as it
seemed like such a great Healey archaeological find and indeed, as is my
habit, I was rooting for the underdog.  Perhaps, if I may risk further
speculation, Mr Brownings quoted "basically the same" refers to the degree of
prep the two very different engines  recieved. Sorry for any palpitations I
may have caused and  All the best to this great list! >>