[Healeys] restore original equipment steering wheel

john spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 6 11:25:45 MST 2014

The wheels crack because the reinforcing steel inside expands from
rust by water that penetrates though the spokes. I stored one in my
for about 5 years wrapped in plastic in an area, San Jose California,
where the relative humidity is 50-60% (guessing somewhat) and higher
during rainy periods in the winter.

When I took the wheel out of the bag it disintegrated. There may be
people who successfully restore a steering wheel but I would not do it.

John