[Healeys] Lempert 3.54 gears install

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Wed Feb 5 12:32:33 MST 2014

Tom, I suggest you read the workshop manual and see what is involved. I
had to make up tools to set the pinion preload and you will need bearing
pullers. I would be fitting all new bearings regardless, and new oil
seal. The Lempert gears are very well made, I have done one where even
the original shims were correct for the new gears, and another where
adjustments were necessary. After reading what is involved in setting
the preload and backlash, if you feel you can manage it all, then go for
it! Otherwise get help.
Cheers
Larry Varley