[Healeys] Healey on BAT Auction

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Mon Dec 8 03:12:25 MST 2014

Hi Tadek, well I don't know about that! The Volvo engine is extremely
durable, almost unburstable in fact. Having raced a P1800 I can attest
to that. The quality of materials used in the engine was exceptional,
and when rebuilding the blocks bores appeared more like steel than iron.
Certainly one of the most robust engines I have ever seen. Even though
the P1800 was far too heavy for the engine my car had past been a
regular class winner in Targa Tasmania, and better suited to that than
track racing that I did with it. However I had a huge amount of fun
doing that and it never let me down no matter how hard it was pushed. A
car with excellent handling and brakes, just down on cubic capacity for
it's weight. The gearbox was good, but that version Laycock overdrive
was quite hopeless and I spent a lot of time fine tuning it for racing
conditions. even in road going trim the overdrive was problematic, it
usually kicked like a mule when engaging. It is quite interesting that
Volvo specified ATF as the correct oil for their overdrive gearbox, and
I really wonder if ATF ( automatic transmission fluid ) would be the
best oil for a Healey overdrive gearbox.
Cheers
Larry Varley