[Healeys] Healey on BAT Auction

Charlie mgcharlie at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 13:27:53 MST 2014

This is an interesting conversion, but will probably be somewhat underpowered. A stock B18 in 1800S trim would have been rated at 108 hp. And the overdrive is a D type that would have come with a B18. The slightly later B20 was rated stock at 115 with carbs, but up to 130 fuel injected. Using the better breathing of a fuel injected head, plugging the injector holes, SU carbs and at least the fuel injected camshaft would net most of the gains of the EFI system, yet still look like it belongs. The resulting hp would be easily in the 120 - 125 hp range. And the later J type overdrive used with the B20 fuel injected cars would offer a more robust alternative.

If anyone is interested in such a conversion, I can put you in touch with someone who has vast supplies of B18s, B20s, and overdrive transmissions.

I'm currently involved in such a swap in my MG TD. That will go from stock 54 hp to the above mentioned 120-125 and fit well with minimal cutting. And at the same time have the engine weight lower in the chassis because the Volvo is a shorter engine.

Charlie