[Healeys] Healey on BAT Auction

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 10:14:18 MST 2014

"... original 2.9 liter six and gearbox replaced by a strong running Volvo B18 and M41 4-speed overdrive combo, which the seller says is hundreds of pounds lighter than the stock set up. Recently resprayed in BMIHT-verified factory correct Healey Blue ..."

Interesting juxtaposition: a bastardized--yes, it is--drivetrain with a 'purist' paint job.

I'm beginning to get a bit peeved with the 'purist' label and its (slightly) negative connotation. I happen to like Austin-Healeys--though I'm not above slapping in a Pertronix or a SS fuel pump so I'm a bit more relaxed on my 4,000 mile+ trips--but if you want to drive a Volvo-Healey or a Ford-Healey or a Chevy-Healey that's fine with me. Just don't call me a 'purist' because I want to own and drive the car that God (aka Donald M. Healey) and his disciples created.

Also have issues with the 'factory correct Healey Blue'--that's purist talk!--as it's my understanding there's an infinite number of variations, even from the factory.

Off the soapbox for now.

Bob