[Healeys] spin on filters

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Aug 27 09:13:41 MDT 2014

Ron,

I think you're right. Was thinking it was a hydraulic tensioner, but now IIRC there is a spring in there and that is what applies tension (haven't had it apart in many years). Even so, I think the Healey tensioner is more robust because I think a constant pressure is sufficient; i.e. no need to apply more pressure with an increase in oil pressure (that seems counter-intuitive; maybe the 4.6 tensioner pressure is limited somehow). Still, the Healey's metal/rubber tensioner is more robust than the Ford's, which is made of plastic (the replacement tensioner appears to be beefed-up around the hole where breakage typically occurs).

bob

ps. cc'ing the List to clear up the mistake.

--

Hi Bob,

Did you mean to say that the 6-cyl Healeys do NOT have a hydraulic chain
tensioner?

The engine in my 61BN7 does not have a hydraulic chain tensioner. It
operates using a steel spring that forces the rubber pad against the chain.
There is a small oil passage through the center that allows some oil to flow
to the friction surface but that is not providing any of the pressure for
the tensioner. I don't know about the later engines.

Ron Fine