[Healeys] Frozen in Place Engine - 1961 BT7

rd_parker at juno.com rd_parker at juno.com
Sun Aug 17 18:52:35 MDT 2014

Listers,

I would greatly appreciate any wisdom from you listers to enable me to
unfreeze a stuck engine.  There is no apparent mechanical problem other
than friction to overcome internally, as far as I can tell.  The engine
has not been rotated for several years, which is my fault.  I have poured
in small amounts of a concoction of marvel mystery oil, WD 40, kerosene
and mineral oil through the open spark plug holes and am currently
waiting about a week to see if I can break the friction free by turning
the crank nut using a socket and big breaker bar.  I think that I can
also apply moderate judicious force against the large gear teeth adjacent
to the starter motor which is currently removed, to help rotate the
crank.  Other that, I have no other current options yet devised.  And
yes, the transmission is in the neutral position.

I have also thought about using compressed air pressure against the
pistons to possibly drive the rod down to aid in rotating the crank, but
so far, it is just a guess.

Thank you for any and all suggestions,

Bob in Bellflower,  CA.