[Healeys] BJ8 Ignition knocking

josef-eckert at t-online.de josef-eckert at t-online.de
Sun Aug 17 13:02:49 MDT 2014

Hi Niels,
Six cylinder Austin-Healeys usually need todays super petrol, better super plus 98 or 100 Octane, not Euro Super.
Your shock may be causeed by using wrong ignition cables with high resistance. Don`t use carbon core cables. Much better are copper core cables for our old cars.

Josef Eckert
Germany.

Was on holiday in UK this year with my BJ8. Have a couple of questions I
need your help me with.
I normally use super octane fuel but couldnt get it and filled up with
regular. I guess and old car with low compression should be able to use
regular, but big was my surprise when it started knocking under load at low
rpm in third and fourth. Filled up with super again and the problem
disappeared.
Checked the ignition when I returned home, it4s set at 15 deg BTDC @ 650rpm.
I recall having read somewhere thats the right number, so what is wrong.
Have altered it to 13 deg now on the little wheel on the distributor, did
that with the engine running, wow got a shock, high voltage in my arm. How
can that be, dont recall having had problems with that on other cars.

Niels
Denmark