[Healeys] Goodridge brake lines

Andy Thorp bce257 at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Apr 28 13:33:03 MDT 2014

There is a mistake in at least some sets of drum-brake Healey Goodridge hoses
which is potentially dangerous.

Only two types of brake hose were used on Healeys, both the same length and
differing only in the addition of a tapered seat to the end of the threaded
section for the disc brake hard pipe flare. All drum brakes whether front or
rear use the same hose as best I can tell.

Goodridge made (or may still make) a number of sets for early cars with only
six threads on the ends which screw into the aluminium wheel cylinders at the
front and as the corresponding female thread in the wheel cylinders starts a
few turns down the hole plus the thickness of the copper washer means the
total thread engagement is only 2.5 turns. This is not sufficient for
aluminium and has a reasonable risk of one stripping with complete loss of
brakes.

If anyone is ordering or has a set for drum brake cars then check that there
is enough thread engagement. The reason for the mistake is they used a generic
end fitting which has a (unused) taper seat on it and this eliminates most of
the threads. The rear hose sold with the disc brake sets is correct so
ordering three of those for an early car is a way to solve the problem.
Goodridge sorted that out for me last year at no cost but I'm not sure how far
they went to recall other hose sets out there.

Andy.