[Healeys] Red Lead Paint / Minium Paint

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Apr 28 03:51:19 MDT 2014

This sounds as what we call RLS Owatrol, a mixture of raw (I think)
linseed oil and orange lead oxide primer, perhaps mixed with some
turpentine and siccatives. It was/is used extensively on ships and is
the ultimate primer for rusted steel. Precious few, if any, rust primers
can beat it. If you can get hold of it, get and use it. I do not think
it is illegal because of the lead oxide content, but as long as it is
not sanded there is no problem.The danger is extremely limited, similar
to high octane aviation fuel with tetra-ethyl-lead, and not to be
compared with blue asbestos in older or NOS friction material in clutch
friction plates and brake pads/shoes.
I have used it a lot, I love the stuff.
Kees Oudesluijs