[Healeys] Mating OD and Transmission - Now Lay Shaft

Mike Tobin ahbt71 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 04:49:27 MDT 2014

Thanks again for all the help.  Knowing which spline to turn which
direction and having located a longer screw driver I was able to drop the
main shaft into the OD after a couple tries (they weren't wasn't quite
lined up at first).  David Porter suggested an alternate method of lifting
the bridge bars and turning the output shaft.

Now that I think I can get the two mated when the time comes I'm putting
the trans back together and  struggling with the lay shaft. I've got a
wooden dowel inside holding the needle bearings in place and did dry run
without the main shaft in and it went in fine.
With the main shaft in I can't get my hands down into the box to position
the lay shaft.  I'm using a combination of screw drivers for prying and a
length of wire looped under the shat to try and pull it up, but when I
start to maybe think it's going OK the shaft falls back down or a thrust
washer comes out.
grrrrrrrrrrr.

Cheers,
Mike Tobin