[Healeys] Running Problem

Quentin Schweninger quenty2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 16:38:06 MDT 2014

Jonas, I had a similar episode.
After driving about 50 miles with no problem I returned home and parked it
outside. Later, that evening I went out and put the car in the garage it
started up and ran fine.
When I started it up the engine went absolutely nuts! backfiring blowing white
smoke, black smoke out of the carbs and the exhaust. the engine shook so hard
it was scary.

I was thinking the only thing that made sense was that somehow the timing
chain had slipped. or valve had stuck open.
I pulled off the valve cover and every thing was fine.

Checked the ignition timing-- dead on.
The compression check was right on.
Spark plugs were all over the place. Not suprising. However #1 & #6 were
perfect.

I went thru the distributor piece by piece everything looked fine (Its all
new) Except
the distributor cap. Using a eye loop I could see a hairline crack or a
casting flaw across
top through the section where the coil wire is attached.
My options were running out. so I installed a new cap.
Hit the starter button and zoom.
Runs like a dream.

Hope this helps
Dave and Daisy