[Healeys] Following Grace continued

David Porter frogeye at porterscustom.com
Sat Apr 5 09:37:46 MDT 2014

... well my Word Press blog is suffering from a change over to Windows8
from my perfectly working XP operating system (much like Obamacare
mandate, but I digress) so I'll add a link to John's FB Drive Away
Cancer site to bring y'all up to date.
  First, the engine, with the VERY expensive, but VERY nice Denis Welch
crank, rods, pistons, flywheel is pretty damn remarkable! It is now a
zero balance engine and revs like crazy. I'd guess red line is above
6000 RPM now. The rods were less than a 1/2 gram different, pistons
within 1 gram. The crank with the extra counter weights is a much needed
improvement over the original 60 year old technology.
  The block was hyper decked resulting in piston protrusion of 0.42".
However the Welch steel head gasket is 0.60 so plenty of room. The
resulting quench zone promotes very efficient burning and keeps carbon
build up to a minimum.
  The performance from the old engine is quite remarkable. On the
freeway, in traffic, at 5200RPM in 4th gear the speedometer showed
105MPH and was still pulling hard. I suspect it will run out of cam or
carbs before anything else.. I'd like to know what a dyno test would
show. A local machine shop mathematician calculated an additional 16HP
from the narrow quench zone alone. So M spec is 110, plus the 16 plus
the reduced weight, additional displacement and reciprocating mass has
got to get it to 130 at least. I can tell you that from a strictly seat
of the pants impression that it will give a good E-type a run for it's
money!
Dave
https://www.facebook.com/driveawaycancernow

PS if my 100 didn't disappear in the divorce I'd be saving my pennies
for the bits that went into Grace..

--
Dave Porter
Porter Custom Bicycles