[Healeys] Spare tire

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sat Apr 5 02:19:45 MDT 2014

There is no substitute for a spare tire. Make sure you have a decent one
in/under/over the boot, not the old tire that still looked good when you
last replaced your road going tires the last time. When changing tires
(nearly always because of age for classic cars) change 5. Oh, and keep
it slightly overinflated. When did you check the pressure last? By the
thought of it I cannot remember it when I did myself. Must have been
years ago.
A can of tire sealant may help out when the leak is not to dramatic, but
it will usually ruin the tire, with or without inner tubes. Anyway it
will only be a temporarily fix to bring you to the next service station.
A small compressor run from the cigar lighter is always a good idea. Get
a good one. Most cheaper cylinder type compressors are crap. They do not
last and the gauge is usually highly inaccurate and difficult to read. I
can recommend the small disc shaped one from Michelin. It is light,
durable and the digital gauge (bar/psi) is very accurate. You can preset
the cut-out switch to the required tire pressure. It measures less than
10" diameter, 2" thick.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL