[Healeys] HEAT SHIELDS

Jean Caron vintage_roadster_restoration at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 14:30:24 MDT 2014

Well said Josef, I drive an Austin-Healey with all its quircks and old
technology because that is what I want to experience. If I want something more
modern, I will buy an Acura NSX which right now sells for about the same price
as a well restored Austin-Healey.

Jean

> Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 21:12:49 +0200
> To: Healeys at autox.team.net
> From: josef-eckert at t-online.de
> Subject: [Healeys] HEAT SHIELDS
>
> I own 3 Austin-Healeys, two big ones and a Sprite. All three have their
original heat shields installed as I believe BMC knew what they had to do for
best results. I really believe the Austin-Healey cars were good engineered and
don`t need such modifications. Seems other owners feel their Austin-Healey
cars are not done by skillful people. There might be better solutions
available in modern cars now, but the BMC engineered solutions still work and
my cars are running well. So I am still asking myself why should I change to
solutions which perhaps bring the running system in my cars out of balance? I
would solve a small problem on the one side to have more problems with others.
> My long experiance is, stay with the factory specs and you have no problems.
So why change this system to one you don`t know what come out? For those who
don`t like their Austin-Healeys as they are, I would suggest to sell and buy a
modern car without these shortcomings of classic cars. Classic cars have a
soul like the skilful engineers who designed them. These were characters and
they are gone. If you take the soul out of the cars they are only old metal.