[Healeys] fuel pump condenser

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 10:00:04 MDT 2014

Condenser = Capacitor

I think some (expensive) DVMs have a capacitor check function. A capacitor/condenser is basically a current sink, at least until it becomes saturated with electrons. So when you apply voltage/current to a capacitor, it will appear as a dead short for a brief instant, then appear as an open circuit. Conversely, the capacitor will discharge its electrons when its leads are shorted or a load is placed across them. You can test for a shorted capacitor with the voltage and/or continuity function on a DVM--if it's shorted there will be no voltage (just like crossing the tips of the leads). If it's open, well, that's where you need a capacitor check function.

I seem to recall you can test with an 'old school' moving coil voltmeter--when the leads are applied to the capacitor the indicated voltage will rise a bit slower than an open circuit.

Note some capacitors--notably electrolytics, which are sometimes used in (older) SU pumps--are polarity sensitive. Apply the leads backwards and you can/will destroy the capacitor (probably leading to a short condition).

Bob