[Healeys] HEAT SHIELDS

michaelsalter at gmail.com michaelsalter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 08:51:35 MDT 2014

Hi Gary,

You make a very good point but John is correct in saying that modern vehicles use sheet metal on standoffs as heat-shields. I know this because I just had to re-secure the one between the catalytic converter and the driveshaft and floor of my old beater Subaru.

I'm wondering if the metal heat-shields prevent radiant heat from reaching the floors and other protected components directly.

My guess is that the air flow around the metal heat-shield keeps the temperature of the surface of the heat-shield facing the protected components considerably cooler thus decreasing the volume of radiated heat.

That said I only got a D+ in thermodynamics so I'm sure there are smarter people that me out there who can advise.

Michael S

BN1 #174