[Healeys] Temp sender update

john spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 2 18:40:59 MDT 2013

Ira,

To replace the nut the line will have to be cut. Looking at my gauge
it is apparent that the entire line was replaced so it hardly matters
where you cut it. The rebuilder will have to take the gauge apart to
do it right.

With a leaking rear main and the issue with removing the gauge nut
you might as well pull the engine. I know it is harder with the
shroud in place but it will make removing the nut and rear main seal easier.

Once you have the engine out you should be able to carefully, very
very carefully, drill into the nut on each side. You want to drill so
you don't damage the threads in the block. Once you remove material
from each side of the nut, from where the capillary tube goes through
you can break a piece of the nut off and remove it piece by piece.
Another product you could try but that has not worked well for me
freezes the nut to shrink it.

When I had what I though was a rear main seal leak it turned out to
be two problems. A failed gasket between the rear plate and engine at
the camshaft rear galley. I fixed that by making a new gasket from
thinner material and Form-a-gasket sealer. The other leak was because
the rear main bearing cap did not seat properly because the felt
gaskets I had were to big and had mushroomed at the top stopping the
metal block from seating properly. I removed the felt and replaced it
with The Right Stuff gasket maker.

Take things apart carefully to see if you can see an oil path. It may
not be the rear main crank seal. If it is carefully look at the
carrier, before removing it, to see if there is an oil path leaking
from it. Also, once removed, check the oil seal lip for damage.

John