[Healeys] Fwd: bugeye brake problem

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 12:32:57 MDT 2013

Hi Mark,
I presume that you are using one of the in line master cylinders with the
plastic tank.
Based upon what you have said in your message I don't think you understand
the theory of operation of that master cylinder.
In short, if either the front or the rear system develops a leak those
master cylinders isolate the leaking system and allow the other to continue
operating.
If you are sure that air has been eliminated from both systems you need to
centralize the "shuttle" in order for both systems to operate.
To do this open one bleed screw and press down hard on the pedal, this will
push the shuttle to one end. Close the bleed screw.
Press down on the pedal then have an assistant slightly open a bleed screw
of the other system. Do this very slowly. You should feel a "bump" in the
pedal as fluid seeps out of the bleed screw and the "shuttle" centralizes,
release the pedal and close the bleed screw as soon as this occurs.
The idea is that you are moving the "floating" shuttle" to the mid
position. On the original systems there was a brake fail indicator light
which went out when the "shuttle" was centralized making this process a
little easier.

Hope that helps,

Michael S

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 1:52 PM, mark henderson <markhenderson3376 at gmail.com