[Healeys] Adjustable Armstrongg Shocks

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 01:22:23 MDT 2013

Hi Josef,
Do they have a round clicking knob on the shock body, or do they have a wired
remote adjuster?
Wired remote adjustable type was fitted to Aston Martins. Rear shocks could be
adjusted from inside the cockpit.
The ones adjusted from under the car with a clicking knob were, as far as I
know, a competition add on.
The reality is the rear shocks were really a handful of castings, a dozen
springs, a dozen valves, and hundreds of arms. So e.g you can make an MGB rear
shock into a BJ8 rear shock with a BJ8 arm, spring & valve. You can make a
Sprite rear shock into a 3000 MK1 shock with an arm, spring & valve....
So depending on the size of the adjustable shock body you have, you can make
it fit any other car that uses that size shock body.
Bit like Lucas distributors really.
As far as fitted standard? I don't know.
BMC, Rootes etc all sold them (with heavy spring etc, and appropriate arm) as
a special tuning part. For MGB, sprite, etc
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone