[Healeys] Brake Fluid

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Fri Oct 11 20:32:17 MDT 2013

People have mentioned DOT 3, 4, and 5, but I don't think anybody had really
given much background.

When new the cars used DOT 4 fluid, usually if not always Castrol or Girling
brand.  DOT 3, the stuff you can pick up at the local convenience store or
wherever, was not recommended.

I believe if you have a totally rebuilt system with new rubber components
you can now use DOT 3 , willing to be corrected if that is not the case.

Dot 5 can be used as well, but does not mix with DOT 3 or 4, as mentioned,
DOT 3 and 4 mix ok.  Most people only use DOT 5 after a complete rebuild of
the system or at least a thorough flush.

So the question is, has your system been rebuilt and what it it running
now?, most DOT 5 I have seen is purple versus a golden color for most DOT 3
and 4s, but in an old system with old fluid they will all often all look
kind of brownish grey.

If you don't know what is in the car you might take a bit out of the
reservoir and mix it with some DOT 3 and see if it mixes if it is DOT 5 will
be like oil and water, if not you probably have DOT 4 or three.

So bottom line is most likely it has DOT 4, as the was OEM, but many run DOT
5 these days and some probably DOT 3 too, since these cars have been around
for so long hard to know for sure without some testing unless you have a
reliable history.

Greg Lemon