[Healeys] stator tube

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Fri Nov 8 12:57:28 MST 2013

Carl, the long stator tube is clamped at its lower end (in front of the
steering gearbox) by a brass compression fitting ("olive") and nut.
Apparently, the clamping force on the tube was not enough to prevent it
being pulled out when you removed the trafficator.  If you had any oil in
the steering box, you should have seen it leak out by now where the stator
tube got removed.  If you haven't seen the oil leak, then you should make
sure the box gets filled when you reassemble everything.  Also check the
steering idler on the other side of the car to make sure it's filled with
oil.
There shouldn't be any particular problem when you reassemble it, but make
sure the nut clamps the olive and tube sufficiently to secure the tube and
prevent leaks.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry