[Healeys] Engine Milestone and setback - update

John Rowe jkrowe46 at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 7 19:22:00 MDT 2013

Bob
My thoughts exactly!
John Rowe
Qld Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: healeys-bounces at autox.team.net [mailto:healeys-bounces at autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Bob Spidell
Sent: Wednesday, 8 May 2013 10:58 AM
To: healeys at autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Engine Milestone and setback - update

Aren't the felt plugs installed after the cap?

If the rear main cap wasn't fully seated an oil leak would be the least of
your worries, I would think.

Bob

On 5/7/2013 11:28 AM, john spaur wrote:
> This week I finally had time to pull the engine/tranny out to attempt
> to fix the reoccurring oil leak. Last December I had reinstalled the
> rebuilt engine/tranny and it immediately leaked more than normal. When
> I took everything apart I found a leak between the transmission
> mounting plate and block where the gasket had failed at the #4 cam oil
galley. I attributed the failure to contamination of the gasket sealer or a
gasket that was too thick. Fixed it in January and reinstalled the
engine/tranny only to find what seemed to be a worse leak.

> This time when I looked at everything really closely again, the
> mounting plate was not leaking but I noticed the rear main bearing cap
> was not fully seated. After removing it I could see why. The felt
> sealing plugs had mushroomed around the top when they were installed
> which prevented the cap from fully seating. I should have noticed this.
Part of the problem I installed felt plugs that were to fat. There are two
different diameters and I had been sent the wrong ones by the supplier.

> Engine/tranny reinstalled and no apparent leak yet.
>
> Now I can concentrate on my concours restoration. What factory original
leaks should a Healey have to score gold?