[Healeys] Engine Milestone and setback - update

john spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 7 12:28:58 MDT 2013

This week I finally had time to pull the engine/tranny out to attempt
to fix the reoccurring oil leak. Last December I had reinstalled the
rebuilt engine/tranny and it immediately leaked more than normal.
When I took everything apart I found a leak between the transmission
mounting plate and block where the gasket had failed at the #4 cam
oil galley. I attributed the failure to contamination of the gasket
sealer or a gasket that was too thick. Fixed it in January and
reinstalled the engine/tranny only to find what seemed to be a worse leak.

This time when I looked at everything really closely again, the
mounting plate was not leaking but I noticed the rear main bearing
cap was not fully seated. After removing it I could see why. The felt
sealing plugs had mushroomed around the top when they were installed
which prevented the cap from fully seating. I should have noticed
this. Part of the problem I installed felt plugs that were to fat.
There are two different diameters and I had been sent the wrong ones
by the supplier.

Engine/tranny reinstalled and no apparent leak yet.

Now I can concentrate on my concours restoration. What factory
original leaks should a Healey have to score gold?

John Spaur
San Jose
'62 BT7