[Healeys] Gearbox

teamhealeytexas fredcrowley at teamhealeytexas.com
Mon Mar 18 21:04:28 MDT 2013

Hi Bill,

It's virtually impossible to remove the O/D by itself while the
engine/transmission remain in the car. The main problem is that the gearbox
mainshaft requires the O/D to be slid backwards from the transmission, and
the transmission tunnel behind the seats doesn't allow for sufficient
movement for the O/D to clear the transmission mainshaft. The washers that
are being referred are drawing number 120 (sunwheel steel adjusting washer -
various part numbers) and drawing number 121 part number 866-780 bronze
thrust washer in the Moss catalog as part of the internals of the O/D. It
never ceases to amaze me how these can ever so slightly move, preventing the
mainshaft from sliding back into the O/D. The 2nd pain in the butt is in
trying to get the rear splines of the annulus (drawing number 138 part
number 031-382) lined up with the splines at the back of the O/D. Even using
an old mainshaft to line up the splines still does not guarantee that the
trans mainshaft will slide fully home. I find that even holding my tongue on
the right side of my mouth , spinning around 3 times with my left pinkie
extended, and providing burnt offerings to the overdrive Gods, that it takes
me several tries to get everything mated up correctly.

I've found that it's hard enough to get everything lined up to mate the O/D
to the transmission with both out of the car. Although it would seem to be
simpler to remove the O/D by itself, I don't believe that it's possible
without modifying body work. The two obvious ways to get the O/D separated
from the transmission is to either remove the transmission/overdrive
together, which can be tough as the combo  weighs a bloomin' ton, and has to
be removed through the interior, and there is very little room in the
interior for more than one person to muscle the unit in and out. Despite
trying to be careful, I've mashed fingers, scratched paintwork, and expanded
my 4-letter vocabulary tremendously doing this, and for my car with a roll
cage it is a logistical nightmare.

For me, I find removing the engine/transmission/overdrive as a unit through
the front, while having more steps to perform, seems to generate much less
frustration, damaged fingers, etc. than removing only the trans and O/D.
Also while the engine/trans is out, it gives me a chance to closely check
out both, even if it's only to thoroughly clean, paint touch up, etc.

Hope this helps.

Y'all take care, eh?
Fred
Team Healey Texas