[Healeys] U-Bolts

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 18:07:34 MDT 2013

Hi Mel,
Most of the U bolts from many suppliers are too long already. ;-)
They are a pretty standard size u bolt available from most suspension shops.

How much are you lowering the car by?
A couple of things to consider.

1. If you lower it, you reduce the effective suspension travel, and need to
consider reducing the height of the bump stops. I.e taper the rubber blocks so
they are an inverted V shape and shorter.
2. Depending on how much you are lowering it, you may want to consider
upgrading the main leaf at the same time, so there is not too much travel.
3. The BJ8 spring pack centre bolt is quite flimsy compared to the earlier
3000's. The top of this locates in the top  of the diff banjo. So when you fit
a lowering block, you need to fit one which has a locator for the diff banjo
on the top, and a recess for the spring pack bolt head at the bottom. Or make
up a new longer headed spring pack bolt/ locator. Again, depending on how much
you are lowering it, you might want to drill out the spring pack, and fit a
heavier custom made bolt with a longer locator to pass through the lowering
block into the banjo locator hole.
4. Sit in your car, on level ground, and get someone to see how 'level' the
car is at the rear. Most cars are sagging on the drivers side. So you may want
to consider different height lowering blocks, I.e. less lowering on the
drivers side.
Best
Chris