[Healeys] Supporting a painted BN2 body

editorgary at aol.com editorgary at aol.com
Sat Jun 29 12:40:25 MDT 2013

I wonder if you're overthinking this. When I restored my BN7, while the body
was in the paint shop, I restored the steering shaft, idler arm, front
springs, A-arms, and shocks, rear end and axle, in other words, the minimum
number of components so that the car could sit on the ground and roll around
on its own wheels as needed. In fact, the paint shop allowed me to install the
suspension on its rack before bringing it home so I could simply roll it on
the trailer and come home. The problem with a support rack is that it prevents
easy access to things under the car.
And about the only thing you can install before the engine goes in -- which
means the suspension has to be on -- is the wiring harness and interior. So
why not just alter the order slightly, install the suspension immediately
after the painting is done, and then work from there?

G.

Gary Anderson
Editor-at-Large
Austin-Healey Magazine