[Healeys] 1959 100-6 Healey

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jun 23 12:09:47 MDT 2013

I'll take a stab, but there are more accomplished mechanical types on the list.

Comments below.

On 6/22/2013 6:16 PM, Chris Scholz wrote:
> Hello, I am new to this list.  Just purchased a 1959 austin healey 100-6 which
> has a newly rebuilt engine, and underwent a full restoration in 1990.  I have
> some questions on things I found wrong on the car:
>
> 1.  The car runs better with choke half out, high idle.  I put the choke in,
> and it eventually stalls.  Tonight, it may have flooded, or vapor locked
> because I cannot get it restarted.  I will let it sit for a couple hours.  Is
> this a simple carb tune-up issue?

The first half of the choke travel should only open the throttles, the second half should lower the jets inducing a
richer mixture. Sounds like your throttles are not set properly.

> 2.  The clutch makes a howling noise intermittently when fully engaged, and it
> is hard to shift into gear--this in intermittent.  It is almost like the
> hydraulic fluid may be low, so the clutch is not fully disengaging.  But why
> is it so intermittent?

Could be hydraulic fluid level, air in the line, etc.  Sometimes, things are intermittent even thought they logically
seem like they shouldn't be.  Also, the throwout 'bearing' is a carbon disk, if it wasn't replaced at engine rebuild--it
should have been--you may be getting metal-to-metal contact between the 'bearing' housing and the clutch actuating disk.

> 3.  This newly rebuilt engine has only a few hundred miles on it--I have the
> build sheet from the specialty British shop that did the work.  But the car
> has some mild oil leaks.  The seller says this is normal bbutecause of the
> leather gaskets--I noticed the biggest leak is on the passenger side, where
> the distributor assembly bolts to the block.  Is it normal for all Healeys to
> leak some oil?

I don't know of any 'leather' gaskets on a Healey engine.  The front seal is a 'rope' type, the rear main has a 'reverse
Archimedes' scroll that is supposed to channel oil back into the engine (if sort-of works).   If your rebuilder told you
there are leather gaskets I'd be questioning his knowledge and/or truthiness (but, there may, if fact, be leather
gaskets somewhere but I can't recall one).

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net