[Healeys] Fwd: Re: Antifreeze

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Jun 13 06:16:07 MDT 2013

OK, as a self-anointed semanticist I'm going to jump in here.  Technically, 'coolant' would be whatever you put in an
engine's temperature moderating system.  It could be water, water + soluble oil, water + WW, alcohol (old school) +
water, 'antifreeze' + water, etc .  'Antifreeze' would be an agent added to coolant to lower the freezing point of the
coolant so, technically alcohol, store-bought 'antifreeze'--which, typically, is either (mostly) ethylene glycol or
(mostly) propylene glycol (kinder to animals and the environment, supposedly)--or something BMW sells for twice the
price but is likely just ethylene or propylene glycol with a BMW logo which, of course, adds great value to the liquid.
The stuff that's sold as 'waterless' coolant is, I believe a mixture of both propylene and ethylene glycol. Antifreeze
also contains rust inhibitors and/or pH moderators; aka 'buffers.'

So, technically, if you put only pure antifreeze in your radiator it would also be the 'coolant.'

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net